Friday, December 29, 2006

The sum of 2006

We've had many successes this year. Each and every child and teenager who found a caring, supportive home in our family is a success beyond measure. Another year that my partner and I both want none but the other is a marvel. Each sale at JamieCo Design has been both success and vindication, particularly for Proud Ally, GLBT Ally, and Awareness Ribbons.

Nevertheless, the one word that sums up 2006 for me is "mournful." One year ago today, a driver giving more attention to a cell phone than her vehicle drove up over the curb and hit and killed one of our family's children. His seventh birthday was less than a week away.

He was adopted too few years before into a loving home, away from a place that had left him cautious and tentative. That soon passed. He had had a happy Christmas last year that included gifts of books from a much-loved series. I am glad for the things that were good in his life.

With the help of my namesake, he left voice mail for me a few weeks before, just to say hello, that he loved me, and would talk with us later. I still keep it. No matter what remorse the driver feels, no matter what the consequences, he will sing no more songs, tell no more stories, ask no more questions, leave no more messages.

Peace, little one. I love you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have a great 2007!!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home