Friday, July 11, 2008

What goes with peanut butter?

Eating is a common topic with our youngest as they explore new foods and develop personal likes and dislikes. One in particular exclaims "PREG-NIT" with comical finality at the mere mention of any that cross his unpredictable line of palatability.

Even so, I didn't expect the string of PREG-NITs that met nearly all the things I like with peanut butter. Chocolate, bananas, the usual jam/jelly, and maybe celery passed muster. These "peanut butter and" sandwiches do not:

  • Green bell pepper in thin strips
  • Honey (as a boy, a jar of this mixture was a staple at our lunch table)
  • Pickle slices, dill or sweet
  • Raisins or other dried fruit

Nor do scoop or dip variations like apple slices and carrot sticks get by.

Okay... I wondered whether other people's peanut butter favorites could be so foreign to me that I'd squawk the adult equivalent of "PREG-NIT!" Silly question. And so, in verse that would make Dr. Seuss wince:

Would you eat PB on tuna,
aloft, on land, or calm laguna?
Could you add it to egg salad?
There's no need to look so pallid!

I won't put PB on fishies,
or in any eggish dishies...

Enough. I also balked at peanut butter on pizza, but my favorite pizzeria has a "Thai Pie" I want to try that features peanut sauce, chicken, broccoli, red pepper, and onion. Likewise, an onion, bacon, and peanut butter sandwich sounded unappetizing at first, but I'd give it a try.

There is no accounting for taste, obviously. You still won't find me eating PB-and-tuna any time soon. PREG-NIT!

What do you eat with peanut butter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home